Joona Nikinmaa joined PPMI in August 2021 as a senior researcher. He completed his PhD at the European University Institute in Florence, Italy, focusing on the development of European venture capital markets, innovation policies, and innovative entrepreneurship during European integration. During his PhD, Joona was a Fulbright Schuman Visiting Researcher at the European Institute of Columbia University, New York. During his stay at Columbia University, Joona focused on analysing transatlantic policy flows.
Before his PhD, Joona gained considerable experience in the field of research. He has worked as a researcher for a Finnish market research company, and as a research assistant for the Finnish Institute for Health and Welfare, the University of Helsinki, and a mutual insurance company among others.
Key areas of expertise
- Policy areas: science, technology, and innovation, financial markets and innovation financing, entrepreneurship.
- Methods: qualitative and quantitative research methods, including interviews, case studies, surveys, statistical analysis.
- PhD, European University Institute, 2021
- MRes, European University Institute 2017
- MSSc, University of Helsinki 2014
- BSSc, University of Helsinki 2012
Study on Mobility flows of researchers in the context of the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (European Commission, DG EAC, 2021-ongoing)