Ellen Rahm joined PPMI in January 2021 as a public management and public policy researcher. Since then, she has played an integral part in two large-scale evaluation and assessment projects concerning EU fund management, dealing with the digitalisation of EU structural fund management as well as research reproducibility in EU framework programmes for research and innovation, respectively. These multifaceted projects have allowed Ellen to enhance her practical skills in quantitative research methods, data analysis, and the use of dedicated software packages, at the same time as it has served to strengthen her qualitative skills further by conducting country-wide case study interview programs.
Ellen has previous experience as a junior consultant and manager of public sector development projects commissioned by EU External Action in the areas of public health and income inequality. Ellen is particularly passionate about these areas of research and has focussed her academic pursuits to gain experience and achieve expertise in these fields. Before joining PPMI, she spent six months volunteering at foodbanks alongside her studies to examine the effect of austerity measures on food poverty in the UK, independently leading focus groups with food emergency parcel recipients. Besides her fluency in Swedish and English, working knowledge of Norwegian and Danish, Ellen has achieved a B1 level in French that she continues to develop.
Key areas of expertise
- Policy areas: public sector digitalisation, social policy, poverty mitigation and social inclusion, research and innovation, public management, and labour market policy
- Methods: qualitative and quantitative research methods, including desk-based research, interviews, focus groups, surveys, quantitative content analysis and qualitative discourse/text analysis (manual and software-driven)
- MSc in Political Sociology, London School of Economics and Political Science - London, 2019 - 2020
- Exchange semester, Corvinus University – Budapest 2017
- BSc in Public Sociology, Queen Margaret University - Edinburgh 2014 - 2018
- Assessing the reproducibility of research results in EU Framework Programmes for Research (DG RTD, 2020)
- Evaluation of e-Cohesion 2014-2020 (DG REGIO, 2020)
- Support to the monitoring of the performance of the European Union Programme for Employment and Social Innovation (EaSI) (DG EMPL, 2020)
- The situation of theatres in the EU Member States (DG EAC 2020)