Client: Directorate-General Education and Culture (DG EAC), EC
Year: 2017 - ...
Study to evaluate the progress on quality assurance systems in the area of higher education in the Member states and on cooperation activities at European level
UNICEF Uzbekistan is supporting the Ministry of Public Education in their efforts to improve the quality of education in Uzbekistan. This study will provide information on the factors that influence the learning levels of children in primary school, support capacity building of national institutions and evidence-based policy making in Uzbekistan. The study will be based on a national assessment of a representative sample of 4th grade children, which will consist of skills testing (with focus on reading, mathematics and science, but including also transversal skills) and a background questionnaire. The assessment will draw on the expertise and good practice examples from the Lithuanian National Examination Centre. The study will conclude on which personal background factors (family, social, geographical) and school-related factors have a positive or negative impact on the learning levels of children. Based on these results and a wider literature review, the team will provide recommendations to the Ministry for future policy actions and national assessments. The assignment will be implemented through the following stages:
- Building consensus among all stakeholders in Uzbekistan regarding the content and scope of the assessment.
- Designing and developing the assessment instruments.
- Drafting the administrative protocols and procedures for the assessment.
- Training a local team to carry out and mark the assessments.
- Monitoring of data collection and preparing data for analysis.
- Analysis of the data and development of policy recommendations.